Blueberry Lemon Pinwheels by Allison Rychtanek
4 cups blueberries
1 cup honey
1 tbs lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1 package puff pastry.
1. Wash your berries and pick out any leaves, stems, and bugs off of them.
2. Combine berries, honey and lemon juice in a saucepan and cook on medium heat until blueberries are soft and release their juice.
3. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue stirring while the mixture reduces and thicken in texture (about 15 minutes).
4. Once the mixture is the consistency of jam, remove from heat and blend until smooth.
5. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Roll out your puff pastry dough and cut into two-inch squares. Place a small diagonal cut in each corner and fold the right side of each resulting triangle into the middle of the square. Note: You might need to wet the dough to get it to stick to itself.
7. Fold the lemon zest into the jam and spoon a 1/2 tsp of mixture on to the center of each pinwheel. Note: be careful not to place too much filling on each pastry as it can overflow.
8. Place your pinwheels onto a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes, rotating halfway through. Optional: Once done cooking, lightly sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar.
Note: This recipe will work with any berry flavor, adjust the amount of sugar as necessary if using a more tart berry, such as salmonberry.