The CRWP Team is Growing: Meet our three newest Staff Members!
The CRWP has recently hired three new staff members. Since this is an exciting time for CRWP we thought we would take a moment to introduce the new staff and what programs they will be working on.
Dan Schmalzer, Invasive Plant Program Manager
1. How long have you been in Cordova and what brought you here? I began working seasonally for the United States Forest Service in 2011 as a Recreation Technician and was immediately hooked on the outdoor activities and wild spaces Cordova had to offer.
2. What is your go-to activity when not working? My favorite thing to do in Cordova is spend time on or near the water. I enjoy boating in Prince William Sound, silver fishing and duck hunting on Eyak and Alaganic Rivers, and exploring the barrier islands.
3. What is your favorite animal? My favorite animal is probably the duck, seeing the migrations through Cordova and the diversity of duck species is pretty amazing to me.
4. What is a random fact about you? I do not like scary movies.
Michael Zsembik, Vetcorps Intern
1. How long have you been in Cordova and what brought you here? I moved to CDV in February of 2021 for an internship to take part management of aquatic resource projects in the area with the Copper River Watershed Project. I moved here to fulfill my adventurous side but to also build my professional skills while making a positive impact on the environment and rural communities.
2. What is your go-to activity when not working? When I am not at work you can find me watching history documentaries, listening to music, working in a garden, or working on my 1972 classic ford truck that I have owned for close to 15 years.
3. What is your favorite animal? My favorite animal would have to be birds but more specifically a blue jay or mocking bird.
4. What is a random fact about you? I sailed around the South American continent from the east coast to the west coast when I was in the U.S. Navy.
Chris Iannazzne, Greenhouse Initiative
1. How long have you been in Cordova and what brought you here? I have been in Cordova for just over 2 years now! I was fortunate enough to serve as an AmeriCorps member and work as an Environmental Educator at the Prince William Sound Science Center here in Cordova, AK. Once my year of service was up, I realized there was so much more I wanted to do here!
2. What is your go-to activity when not working? The garden is my happy place!
3. What is your favorite animal? Sloth!
4. What is a random fact about you? I was a professional golf caddie for 4 years!